Part107.org Member Forum

for Part 107 Commercial sUAS Pilots
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DJI Geo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:44 am 

What do people think about the new Geo feature DJI is using on the Phantom and Mavic drones.

If you don't know what it is you may want to investigate it.

Basically, you may have to request permission days in advance to fly in some "G" airspace. Airspace that you are totally legal to fly in but until you get the OK from DJI your drone won't take off.

Post subject: Re: DJI Geo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

According to the DJI website, you can get "instant" unlocking. dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

As a professional drone pilot, I take this hand-holding as an insult. It's one of the main reasons I didn't buy a Phantom 3 or 4. But, to cover their collective ass, I think you will find more geofencing on consumer drones- not just DJI.

But, as I understand it, the geofence is part of the DI-GO app. I have not tried it, but there is the UGCS ground control software that you can use instead of DJI-GO. (https://www.ugcs.com/). There's no mention of geofencing on their website.

If you try UGCS, please do report back.

Steve mann

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:31 am 

steve wrote:
According to the DJI website, you can get "instant" unlocking. dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

As a professional drone pilot, I take this hand-holding as an insult. It's one of the main reasons I didn't buy a Phantom 3 or 4. But, to cover their collective ass, I think you will find more geofencing on consumer drones- not just DJI.

But, as I understand it, the geofence is part of the DI-GO app. I have not tried it, but there is the UGCS ground control software that you can use instead of DJI-GO. (https://www.ugcs.com/). There's no mention of geofencing on their website.

If you try UGCS, please do report back.

Steve mann

Steve:

I also did not buy a Phantom for these (and other) reasons.

The new and improved GEO system, which was just released, had no fly zones. You CANNOT unlock these instantly but have to send DJI an email or submit a request on an online form. You then get to wait for a couple of days for their answer. Some of the areas are Class G airports.

Lots of people (including me) are bitching like crazy over on RC Groups.

I do have a Mavic on order because it looks like a really nice platform because it is so portable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:34 am 

Hi Guys,
What UAV's did you get, (instead of the dji's)??

best!
brad